PLAAS Postgraduate Scholarships and Fellowships in South Africa: Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for the 2020 postgraduate scholarships and fellowships in South Africa at the Institute for Poverty, Land and Agrarian Studies (PLAAS), University of Western Cape. Scholarships are available to join Professor Hall’s programme and will cover fees and living expenses, it also provides access to funds for other study-related costs, among others; equipment, fieldwork and conference attendance.
Applications are invited for master’s scholarship, doctoral scholarship and post-doctoral fellowships starting in 2020. Successful candidates will participate in studies under the supervision of Professor Hall and will be required to join in activities such as research design, theory and methods workshops as well as intensive reading groups.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): National Research Foundation
Scholarship to be taken at: University of Western Cape, South Africa
Scholarship level: Masters, PhD and Post-doctoral studies
Scholarship Worth: Tuition fees, living expenses and research expenses
Subject Eligibility: Courses related to Poverty, Land and Agrarian Studies
Country/Candidate Eligibility: The scholarship is for domestic and non-South African students.
Scholarship Eligibility and Selection Criteria: To be considered for the PLAAS Postgraduate Scholarships and Fellowships in South Africa, applicants are to meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must demonstrate the contribution of their proposed research project to the programme as a whole and specifically to one of the workstreams covered in the scholarship.
- Applicants for the master’s degree scholarship must have obtained relevant bachelor’s degrees from recognized universities with good grades.
- Applicants for the PhD scholarship must have obtained relevant master’s degree from a recognized university.
- Applicants must demonstrate strong leadership, academic and research potentials.
- Applicants must be willing to abide by the rules governing the conducts of students at the University of Western Cape.
Application Procedures for the PLAAS Postgraduate Scholarships and Fellowships in South Africa
Applicants are to send full application package to Carla Henry at [email protected]. The application must be accompanied by:
- An online UWC application for 2020 studies.
- A brief concept note outlining the proposed research (two pages or less)
- Applicant’s full Curriculum Vitae.
- Academic transcripts
- A sample of applicant’s academic writing (e.g. a chapter from a Master’s thesis)
- Names of three academic referees.
- A letter of motivation
- A South African Qualifications Authority certificate for those with foreign qualifications.
Application Deadline: June 12th, 2020